Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thrown out

I stayed civilized, I acted maturely and rationally, I stayed calm. And I was thrown out. I feel disrespected. The university is now taking legal action. This challenge was bigger than I thought it would be.

I had to make noise, I had to stand up. Nobody else was willing to help down here. Maybe the people at the university realized that if I write one article in any random influential magazine about this tremendous experience I've had with my accommodation down here, people might actually stop coming here. Badwill is a powerful weapon. So is courage. I don't like feeling sorry for myself and I don't want anyone else to pity for me either. Bitching and crying will not give me my money back. But giving up is wrong. Someone made a mistake and I have to pay for it. Why?

Anyway, I went to the office of the managing director (and his secretary) today at Kolpinghaus in Linz. The first thing they wanted from me today was to speak German. I refused.
I reminded them about our deal, our agreement, the consensus we reached when I left the place. All very politely and calm. I can't say that I was surprised when they all of a sudden changed their standpoint and denied all prior agreements. I asked for a receipt, but I was denied one. I asked for a specification of my (illogical) bill, and I was told a new story, deviating from the prior ones. I was never given the chance to finish my sentences. I was interrupted constantly. Eventually I said what I felt about their behavior, still being very polite. It was deceit and criminal. The secretary bounced off her chair, told me to get out of the office, and two seconds later she lay her hand on my back pushing me out. Do you think I left?

Ten seconds later, a man appeared in front of me, the managing director. This was the first time this man opened his mouth and said something to me, a troubling and very unhappy customer. I don't know where he took his marketing classes but they obviously didn't teach him anything about customer retention what so ever. He then tried to force me out of the office. Still, do you think that I left?

It became evident to me that standing there would not help me in any way. I had to stay rational. I had to remain sane. I slowly moved towards the door, and the man who appeared moments earlier closed the door on me, pushing me outside while I was still standing inside the room. My hands were shaking, my eyes were shaking and I was exploding. I went to Sara's room and she helped me out of the worst moments of rage.

I was thrown out. I was unfairly treated. I armed myself and I saved myself from getting killed.
It has become clear to me that the people I have faced in this process are not fair and honest. It's a catholic and conservative organization with no morale. It's a place where customers mean nothing. It's a place where pasta is on the menu, but potatoes are served.

I am moving on, I have neither the time nor the energy to keep on going back and forth to that place in the city for money I probably never will see again. But as I said earlier, it's a matter of standing up. It's about arming yourself and standing up for yourself, because nobody else will. It's a question of morale, just like everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment