Sunday, September 7, 2008

My last Sunday

This is my last Sunday in Sweden for a while. It feels awkward. I've never liked Sundays anyhow (see any random Sunday-dated post in the archive). The weekend is almost over but I am lucky not to be having any anxiety about an early Monday morning at work tomorrow.
The weekend has been nice. I spent yesterday afternoon at my uncle's. Today I went out for some shopping in Stockholm but I didn't manage to find anything (except for a lovely dark blue coat). But I'm not really in need of a dark blue coat right now.

Sweden played against Albania in Tirana in the WC2010 qualification campaign last night and the game ended with a draw. It's a tough group and I sincerely hope that this draw won't turn out to be crucial by the end of the campaign.


Iran tied against Saudi Arabia away in Riyadh last night. The final score was 1-1 and I guess it's a fair result, considering the fact that Saudi Arabia is one of Asia's powerhouses in football. I am not very optimistic about the outcome of Iran's qualification campaign for the World Cup finals in South Africa in a little less than 2 years. Unless players such as Javad Nekounam (the tireless midfielder from Spanish outfits Osasuna who scored the late equalizer last night), Masoud Shojaei (the new Ali Karimi, another creative and technically gifted midfielder who recently joined Osasuna too) and of course, the whole defensive line perform well.
Speaking of Iranian football, a bomb hit the Mid-East. Ali Karimi returns to Tehran to play for his old club Perspolis. He is reaching his thirties and will not improve anymore as a football player physically (perhaps tactically but honestly, that has never been a strength among Iranian footballers). He has already shown the world the talent he holds, but he has at the same time shown the world the lack of professional attitude in his personality, and therefor I don't see why he shouldn't come home. I mean sure, he would probably make more money in Qatar (where he has been playing since after the World Cup finals two years ago) or in the Emirates. But now that he's back in Iran, he can help the domestic football and inspire youngsters to try to reach the same heights as he once did with Bayern München.
One obvious difference now is that he won't have to play before 500 towel heads every week. A Tehran derby attracts some 100000 spectators to Azadi Stadium and was recently listed among the 50 most prestigious games in the world by World Soccer (El Clasíco, the Milan derby and several other big games were also listed there).

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment